Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Soulful Sunday - Five People You Meet in Heaven

Sunday, 29th day of the month.  There is nothing else I can't think of except the day my son passed away.  But today, I wanted to remember everyone we lost that particular year so I thought of writing a story similar to the movie "Five People You Meet In Heaven".

After arriving in a place so called heaven, Gino started his first walk around the garden.  He could not help but stop to help an elderly man who was trying to cross the small body of water.  Once they were in the dry land, Gino asked what the initial G stood for that was embroidered on his shirt.  The man replied - "it's for George". (1) George talked about the time he served in the Navy and was stationed in the Philippines.  Gino told him that his mother was born there but is now residing in San Jose after marrying Jeff.  George said, that is interesting, I have a son named Jeff who lives in San Jose.  The two G's continued walking, sharing very familiar stories.  

The next day, they met again at the garden and this time George saw Gracie, his sister-in-law.  He introduced (2) Gracie to Gino.  She shared some stories with Gino after finding out that he is from Canada.  Gracie talked about her mother who was born in Canada and owned an Inn somewhere in Cranberry Portage, Manitoba. Gino said, that was interesting, my mother started a blog called Cranberry Portage. The three G's continued walking and shared some more familiar stories.

A week later Gino decided to walk a different garden.  He saw two lovely ladies who were laughing and seemed very happy.  When they saw Gino with a sad expression, they asked why the sadness.  Gino said, I miss my parents, my friends and most specially my sister.
They asked where he was from and were amazed that they were all from Ontario.  Gino asked where they worked and as soon as they replied, Gino's eyes lit up and said, my mom worked for the same Department.  (3) Silvana asked Gino if he attended his mom's wedding in Las Vegas.  Gino replied, I couldn't go because of the store, how about you? Silvana replied, I did not make it, but my husband is one of your mom's best friend and he gave her away at her wedding. (4) Tania asked Gino if he loved music.  Gino told them about going to Name That Tune every Tuesday night at a pub in Oakville.  Tania mentioned that her husband started going there and have been enjoying the company of Gino's friends.

Gino did not realize how all these people that he was meeting had some connection with him.  On his way to another different garden, he saw an older lady sitting quietly under a tree.  He did not want to disturb her but the lady waived at him to come over.  (5) Sylvia wanted someone to share her stories.  She asked Gino where he was born and he replied, Yellowknife.  She said that a long time ago her youngest sister lived and worked there.  Her sister lived in a big house across the street from a church.  Gino then said, when I was very very young, my grandparents lived in small house across the street from a church.  Gino added, I remembered going for a ride with my grandparents and one of their friends that lived in the big house across from the church.  Gino continued his story, I think I have met your sister; she was the one that was so impressed because I knew a lot of big words at the age of two.  But I also remember asking her how old she was.  I did not know then that it was not polite to ask a lady that question.

Maybe some of this might be true or maybe not but I would like to believe that our loved ones are not alone in whatever place they might be.  I would also like to believe that they are at peace and not suffering.  Maybe there is some truth about being together in the arms of an angel.

2 comments:

  1. I have never read the book (is it being made into a movie?) but your rendition of this story brought tears to my eyes.

    And I only realized now that today is the 29th and it's a Sunday.

    I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought he would be meeting mom, dad and tita and whoever else, then I thought all the G's. I started to read and missed the first paragrahp. As always, it is a tear jerker. I was aware it is the 29th and somehow knew there would be a post.

    Remember when you want to open the box. I don't think you needed me to open it. I believe you are not ready to do so, nor was I. You will open it when you are ready, whether I am there or not.

    ReplyDelete