Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Fasting Friday - 12 hours is tough

In a way, I am happy that I only have to do this every 3 months until I get my results in good numbers.  So why fast, well for those who get their blood work done in the morning, they ask that you fast for 12 hours prior to your test.  For diabetics, eating dinner at 600 pm. and then nothing after that, except drinking water is allowed.  Sometimes I would decide to do them the next day so I fast the day before but I don't eat enough so by 1000 pm, I would be hungry and of course have a snack so I put off the blood test the next day.  The other time, I did my fasting and got up early to go to the lab only to find out my doctor did not place in the request.  I think this is why I ended up switching to a new Doctor for the new year.  This new doctor seems easy going but at the same time encourages me to continue what I have been doing.  He also wants to work with me and not against my regimen for my health issues.  During my first appointment with him, he asked where in Canada I lived prior to moving to the Bay Area.  He said he was familiar with Mississauga as he use to play basketball and their team joins some of the tournaments.  He lived in Detroit and recently moved to San Jose to continue his practice.  I am so pleased that he was still accepting new patients.  Finding a doctor that you can work with when you have a few health issues is less stress. With that said, I miss my health team in Mississauga (Dr. Vlad, Dr. Graham, my dietitian Terry and my dentist Dr. Nick - although my new dentist here is really cool who likes geeky toys).


1 comment:

  1. I don't know about the 12 hours of fasting. Here it is 9 hours if you are diabetic and has been like since I was diangosed 25 years ago. It is even in the lab form I get. So ask if 9 hours is enough.

    ReplyDelete