Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Soulful Sunday - Soulful Son

Sunday has been a very difficult day for me for the past two and a half years as this was the day my son died. A few days ago, my daughter found a photo of a Fisher Price record player and she sent it to me. The memories of my son as little boy came so clear to me and that is why today is going to be all about my Gino. I found his baby book and I turned to the page where he was around 2 years old.  So I read about how he loves listening to music and usually the top 40’s. My sister was his babysitter and she introduced Gino to some of the music of 1980’s.  Here are some of his favorite songs and although he won’t admit this to his friends that he knew or even like these songs, I know he did and his aunt would remember all of these moments very well.
Two less lonely people in the world,  Even the nights are better, by AIR SUPPLY (I believe Gino’s dad still has this album.  At the age of 2 and later, he would hold this album while his aunt would play the record over and over for him)
If you leave me now, Saturday in the Park, by CHICAGO
Africa and Rosanna, by TOTO
Sunglasses at Night and Never Surrender by COREY HART (check out his photo the first time he had his Corey Hart hairstyle).
More than a feeling by BOSTON (it was funny when the SING STAR came out for PS2 game, he would sing this and it would remind me of his childhood).

When it comes to Gino’s favorite toys, there are two toys that are so clear in my memory and they are GI Joe and Masters of the Universe.  He would save the money that he would get for doing a chore and would buy one or two of these toys for his collections. He took care of them and organized them in their own carrying case.  When he is playing with He-man characters, the words “by the power of Grey skull  would be echoing from his room.
  
One other toy that he loved was given by his grandfather (see photo below).  My father was overjoyed when Gino was born and I am very happy that he was able to enjoy Gino’s childhood.  I remember my Dad’s prayer – “please do not take me away until I have the chance to see my grandchildren”.  His prayer was answered because he was around to watch his grandchildren grow up. Gino passed away on my Dad’s birthday. 

3 comments:

  1. I love these photos of Gino! He was so cute.

    I remember having to play GI Joe with Gino in his closet. That kid had so many toys. I don't know who spoiled him but he had a lot.

    And that motorcycle thingy, I thought it was much bigger because I remember Gino and I both riding it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remmeber them all. I also had a post related to him. What timing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted commecnt anonymous because that is the only way it will appear

    ReplyDelete