Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thrifty Tuesday - Retirement allowance

Just sharing some things that I do to save some of my retirement allowance monthly.  I am sure most of you don't even have to watch your spending since you are still working.  Today I really did not have anything interesting or creative but hopefully you might find something new that you can try.

  • Since I volunteer at a golf course - I don't pay for my round of 18 and it's unlimited whole year round.
  • Learning how to do all the nail art - Although every now and then, I would get a pedicure, I can do both manicure and pedicure which is at least a $40 savings per month, that is if you are going regularly to get your manipedi 
  • Eat meals at home - it's nice to eat out some time when you forgot to take out something to cook or no left overs or just don't have the energy to cook.  It's not only healthier, it's very inexpensive to make a wholesome meal.
  • Housecleaning - some of my girlfriends due to their work schedule and commitments, have a cleaning lady that comes once a month or every other week.  Well, I am the cleaning lady and my assistant Consuelo takes care of our home.  I guess if you can afford it, why not.  It gives you more time to do other important things in life.
  • Knowing where the sales are for groceries, etc.  This is something that helps in your weekly shopping - knowing your prices and where they are on sale.  This does not mean that you have to spend hours cutting coupons and driving around to different stores for the sales.  
  • Inexpensive fitness venue - Jeff and I play tennis at several public courts without fees and no reservation required.  I bought my hula hoop for $25 which is great to use while watching TV.  I have no gym membership because I am not into it because I like doing something that's fun.  Some people buy those expensive membership and most times they don't even get there. 
  • As for doing errands, I would try and coordinate my route so that I am not going back and forth using extra gas.  Unless it's really needed, I normally would wait until there's enough to get to make the trip.
  • Books and more books - since I volunteer at the library and I have a Kindle, I don't buy books or magazines.  If I see a book that I like to read while sorting, I can just take them and return after I am done. 
That's it.  After all that, I guess I did have a lot to add to this post.  Sometimes it's just a little tough to get started but as soon as my fingers start typing, the rest follows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment