Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Fried Friday - Nothing Fried, Nothing Fatty, Nothing etc.

Q. What happens when your cholesterol (LDL) is higher than normal? 
A.  You get a phone call from your doctor asking you to come in to discuss the issue.  He added it's nothing major, nothing to worry about.

Q. Why does my cholesterol elevated, you might ask?
A.  I can give you a million excuses, but honestly I believe it's a combination of the following: being on vacation and eating out, eating comfort food when I feel sad, and just having fun and enjoying life.


Q.  Why should I avoid eating to help reduce LDL?
A.  Eggs, pastries, desserts, red meats, butter, cheese, processed meats, shrimp, crab, lobsters, clams and mussells.  As you can see by the lists, those are all the great tasting food.

Q.  Exactly how high are we talking about?
A.  Normal people should have between 70 and 100.  Last March my level was at 95 and this month is 116.  So really when you think of the big picture, I am only 16 over and 21 over from last test.

Q. How can anyone lower the levels without taking medications?
A. The following tips are from the Cholesterol class that I attended 6 months ago.
Quit smoking - I don't smoke
Physical activity at least 30 minutes on most days - I play tennis at least 4 to 5 times per week - between 1.5 to 2.0 hours each time. Also I golf 3x per week
Maintain healthy weight - I have been trying to lose weight 
Eat less fat and smaller portions
Manage Stress - I don't have any, I am retired and live with a easy going husband
Limit alcoholic drink to one drink per day - I very seldom drink.

Q.  What course of action am I taking to get my level lower for my next test?
A.  Exercise more, less fatty foods (no more bacon, fried foods no dessert)., eat more fish and chicken.  Less red meat and more fiber.  Easier said than done.

Q. Does anyone have any other secrets that actually works?
A.  If you do, please send it my way.  Appreciate all the help I can get, I really don't want to attend the cholesterol remedial class - it is so boring.  I guess my doctor can also increase the dosage of my prescription to lower the LDL but I'd rather not.  

2 comments:

  1. I try not to eat bacon or red meat. And not as much fried foods. That's why I pass up on all the fried stuff at dim sum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked and I am hit #3,236. Did you get your 3,210th hit?

    ReplyDelete