Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Timely Tuesday - Volunteer day

If you remember from  previous blog, I have mentioned that I volunteer at the Senior Centre with my mother in law.  Yesterday, I gave the aprons to the ladies and our boss and they all love it.  They all wore it and we ask the one and only male volunteer to take our photo. Notice that they are all wearing long sleeve sweater and pants, while I am wearing a sleeveless dress and my sandals.
Sylvia(v), Erin(boss), Barb(v), Annette(v) and me(v)
Most of you have probably heard what I do during volunteer day.  But yesterday since our supervisor was away, I was tasked to do some of the duties.  No, it's not a promotion, it's just an extra or other job. I took some photos to show the table set up, the meals, etc.
Dinner Table, Coffee and Tea Table, Trays with lunch plate
Once the table is set up and the trays  were ready, I took the temperature of the food, both hot and cold. Then just before noon, the milk and juice is served.  The whole lunch menu is published at the beginning of the month.  Here's what lunch look liked yesterday.
Rotini Noodles, Veal Scallopini, Corn, Italian Vegetables
You are probably wondering, whaaat, no dessert. Not really sure why, but most days there's fresh fruit or freshly baked cookies.  While checking the menu for the month, I noticed they will be serving Chicken Adobo (Filipino dish) on March 23.  I was curious if it is better than my adobo.  My sister will get a chuckle out of this because she knows I can't make that dish as yummy as she makes it.  Jeff likes my adobo but he has to otherwise he will have to make his own dinner.

It takes a total of 2.5 hours from set up to clean up but the satisfaction of being a volunteer is so much more than the free lunch, meeting the seniors of the community, the compliments and appreciation received. It's all about helping your community and belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment