Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why Wednesday - Service Industry

Due to some recent experience that my MIL and I went through, I thought that I need to do a post about people behaving badly.  I honestly believe that if you work in a place where the majority of your work is dealing with people, you have got to have great people skills.  But yesterday we were not impressed with some of the people we interacted with.  The first appointment was for some eye test that was conducted by a technician.  She asked my MIL some question and when my MIL responded, the technician was not very polite and my MIL felt like she was lying as she insisted that she has taken the test prior to yesterday.  At the end of the test, the technician told my MIL that maybe they might have mispelled her name and that's why she could not find previous test.  The way they track your file is by your medical ID and then they verify your name.  One would think that since they are the ones that can access medical file by ID number, then it does not matter if they mispelled or added extra letter on my MIL's name, they should be able to find her by her ID number, right???

We had some extra time so my MIL needed to get her California ID so we went to the most dreaded agency in the state - DMV.  We were about the third on line to get a number. The first worker was pleasant, gave us a form to complete and told us to see her on the side and she will give my MIL a number.  Once completed we went to the side, by this time it was a different worker who gave us that angry look (kinda like asking what are you doing there), so we told her that we were instruction to do so by the other lady. Anyway we did get a number and waited. The third person we saw was so rude and so unhappy.  Her first question "what can I do for you" but very abrupt tone, grab the paper, and asked why my MIL did not sign the form.  The form actually said in bold letter:  DO NOT SIGN THE FORM UNTIL YOU ARE SEEN BY THE DMV EMPLOYEE.  She then instructed my MIL to get her photo taken.
The worker who takes photo was pleasant and very polite.  When we left the office, the line up of people wanting to see all these very happy workers (NOT) were outside almost to the parking lot.  By the way, did you know that in the state of California you get a choice of many different language to take your test (English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean and Tagalog).  And I thought Toronto was very multi-cultural, I believe you can only take the test in English or French.

No comments:

Post a Comment