Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Timely Tuesday - Happy Birthday PJD



Today is a special day because my very dear friend is celebrating his ?? birthday. At first I thought that I would wait and feature him on my SPOTLIGHT section.  But since today is timely Tuesday, what would be a better day to feature my friend, that's right, today is the day.  Let me take you back one summer day in 1989, my girlfriend Anna took me to have dim sum for lunch at a Chinese restaurant on Burnhamthorpe Road, Mississauga, Ontario.  We were on our way out when we bumped into a couple and Anna introduced me to Percy and Edith. He was a very young man who was working with same department as I am but different location.  I never knew then that this man would become a very special friend who I can honestly say is like my own brother.  In fact on one occasion, one of our close friend mentioned that we could be mistaken as brother and sister. Maybe it was because we were both wearing an all black outfit.  Through the years, I have seen him grow up from that young man to becoming a father, a colleague, an instructor, a supervisor, a partner in crime, but most of all a true best friend.  We have gone through a lot in our own world but somehow supported each other in whatever way we can.  There are so many things that I would share to let you know how special he is but this page is not going to be enough.  Let me just list a few of the things that makes him an amazing friend:
  • we have an arrangement that when it comes to our birthdays, I will be the DD when it's his birthday and he will be my DD when it's my B-day.
  • when it comes to my health issues - he knows exactly what to do and this is great when I use to travel with him and when we go out with friends.
  • anytime I need some assistance when it comes to medical/hospital appointments where I cannot drive myself, he's always there, even if he has to take a time-off
  • if I am having a tough day at work, somehow he knows how to help me get through the day.
  • when I got the tragic news about my son, he was at my house within 12 minutes of my call.  He was there for me, throughout the rest of the process, and continued to offer emotional support when I returned to work.
What is the best way to describe my friend aka BROTHERAttentive, big-hearted, caring, diligent, entertaining, friendly, good, helpful, interesting, jovial, kind, loving, memorable, natural, observant, perceptive, quick, real, sincere, thoughtful, understanding, vigorous, willing, xtra special, young and zealous.



1 comment:

  1. PJD was there for our family in our time of need. He wasn't just a friend helping out a grieving family, he felt like part of the family, like an uncle who lost his nephew. If you think back to the time we lost Gino, PJD was there from beginning to end, holding our hand, arranging transportation, and everything else. What would we have done without him. Your friendship with him has shown me what a true, dedicated friendship really means. It's rare to come across a friendship like this and I am glad you both treasure what you have.

    After you left, PJD has been like the uncle I never have. He still checks up on me, he offers to teach me how to drive and he even drives us to the airport. It means a lot to me because he doesn't have to do any of this.

    ReplyDelete