Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Maybe Monday - My Days Off

It is amazing how I still look forward to a day off when actually every day is a day off for me.  When it's a declared holiday, the senior centre that I volunteer once a week is closed which means I get a day off.  It still comes as a surprise to me because I am not familiar with some of the American holidays.  I thought that we have a lot of statutory holidays in Canada, but now I realize the US has as many if not more public holidays.  Just in case too are not familiar, these are now the holidays I will observe as great sale days:  
  • Third Monday in January - Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday
  • Third Monday in February - President's Day
  • March 31 - Cesar Chavez Day 
  • Last Monday in May - Memorial Day
  • July 4 - Independence Day
  • First Monday in September - Labor day
  • Second Monday in October - Columbus Day
  • November 11 - Veteran's Day
  • Fourth Thursday in November - Thanksgiving Day
  • Fourth Friday in November - Black Friday
For my Canadian friends who are planning to visit, you might want to remember this dates when booking your flights.  On another note, yesterday after doing some of the chores,  I decided to take out my 12 string guitar, tune it, then play some tunes.  Whhaaatt? you can play.  Well, I have not played for a while so my fingers were a little sore after a few songs.  But it was great to remember certain chords and try out some newer songs.  So here's my playlist: 
  • Soul Sister by Train
  • Save me San Francisco by Train
  • Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol
  • Viva La Vida by Coldplay
  • Don't Know Why by Nora Jones
I am still a little rusty and my left fingers starts cramping after a couple of songs.  The good part is that I still remember how to play certain chords.  The bad part is that I have to practice above songs and memorize the chords, lyrics and be able to play without the sheet.  What I am surprised is that I can still play some old songs from the 60' and 70's without the sheet. 
12 String Ibanez Guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment