Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Frangible Friday - Plates vs Granite

How many times have you broken things in the kitchen?  Do you have to be really careful when doing your dishes?  Do you like ceramic or plastic plates?  Do you have granite or marble or stainless steel or tile counter top?  Do you have thick or thin bottom drinking glasses?  If yes to most of these questions, then you already know where I am going with this post today.

My worst nightmare was the day the I was putting away all the new set of glasses that we bought the first year Jeff moved into our home.  We decided to buy extra sets just in case they don't sell the particular style.  I wanted to help out while Jeff was mowing the lawn, so I decided to put away the newly washed drinking glasses.  The cupboards had 3 shelves and the middle one was for our mugs and glasses.  I started arranging the glasses and all of a sudden the shelf support broke and the whole shelf with all the glasses fell on the granite counter tops, shattered the glasses and there I was standing in front and did not get hurt.  There were broken pieces all over the kitchen floor and even after a couple of months, Jeff still found more pieces.  I believe 9 or so glasses were broken, so glad we bought those extras.

Every now and again while washing the dishes, our plates would get chipped just from bumping the counter or the sink.  One day I told Jeff that I will try not to break any glass and within seconds, I broke a glass after rinsing and trying to load in the dishwasher to dry.  When  a plate gets chipped, I always try to find the piece so Jeff can glue it back to the plate.  We thought about getting those Corelle or Corning ware plates but unfortunately they don't come in dark colors, just white with some lines or flowers or leafs.  

This is something that Jeff might like.  I kinda prefer square plates and bowls.



                            

No comments:

Post a Comment