Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuning Tuesday - Slack Key Guitar

Have you heard of the style of playing guitar called Slack Key?  Last week I was chatting with one of the guys from Jeff's work and he mentioned this.  When I got home I decided to google it and found some really cool information and sample lessons.  Although I can play the guitar just for myself, I have not played for over a couple of years.  When I move here I left my guitar to my X because Jeff had bought me a 12 string guitar for Christmas of 2009.  After learning about the Slack Key I am really interested to find out how they are played.  This week I plan to take out my guitar and start practicing again just to get my fingers trained.  Many many years ago, I use to play at our local church and even belong to a really great choir.  I love playing some of the songs from the 60's and 70's but as the saying goes "if you don't use, you'll lose it".  Although I still remember a lot of the chords, I have forgotten how to play some of the songs that I use to know very well.  Like any musical instrument, it's all about practice, practice, practice.  With all the other hobbies that I have, I am not sure if I can keep it up but I'd like to try again. Apparently the instruction is free and they meet once a month at a Hawaiian cafe.  It seems difficult as there are a lot of picking.  Here's a clipping that I found about slack key guitar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment