Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Score Saturday - Haven't heard it lately

SCORE! have you heard it lately?  This is the third month of NO hockey and it seems like they have cancelled all regular games until December 30.  Without hockey I have no choice but watch footballLast Monday I saw a TV special - Maple Leafs 75 years.  Although I was never a Maple Leafs fan, it brought back a lot of memories because I had lived in the Toronto area for 13 years.  The fans of the Leafs are like any other hockey fans, they are very loyal and very supportive in that you can never get any tickets to watch them live.  It's funny that I believe I have seen the Sharks play at least five times (even before I moved here) and I have only seen the Maple Leafs play once (pre-season game).  Anyway, the TV special was filled with memories as they show old and new clippingsSome of the clippings was even before I knew hockey (60's to 70's).  They also talked about the change from the Maple Leaf Gardens to the Air Canada Centre.  In case you are wondering why I am going on and on about this topic?  Believe it or not, I miss watching Hockey specially on Saturday nights.  Last season I was very happy to see that the hockey channel actually cover the one where Don Cherry and Ron McLean.  Here are the different teams that I cheered for through the years. 
  • New York Islanders - when I lived in Yellowknife
  • Boston Bruins - when I moved to Whitehorse
  • Colorado Avalanche - because they were previously Quebec Nordics
  • Ottawa Senators - for the few years I lived in Ottawa temporarily
  • San Jose Sharks - because I moved here and they are a great team  
In 1979 we were at the Edmonton International Airport on our way to visit Manila for the holidays.  My sister and I were watching a group of good look men in suits.  I noticed and recognized one and told my sister it was Glenn "CHICO" Resch of the NY Islanders.  She dared me to approach him and get an autograph.  I accepted the dare and Chico ended up introducing me to the rest of the team and signed a blank page in my pocket calendar.  Later that year when I changed the calendar, I forgot all about that special page.  I knew that there would not be a monetary value but it would have been nice to get it framed, right?

NHL San Jose Sharks Score NHL Full Zip Hoodie
Hopefully I will have this for the 2013 season



No comments:

Post a Comment