Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tenacious Tuesday - Can you remember?

It is such a good feeling when someone ask you if you remember them.  Your mind starts working very hard to remember where and when and of course their name.  The most embarrasing part is that they all remembered my name with in seconds while I struggle to figure out who they are.  The difficulty of this process is that I have not seen most of them for over 45 or 50 years.  One particular person remembered me so quickly and we went to school from Kindergarten to Grade 4.  What is funny is his first comment "when we were little you were so pretty and very light colored".  You are probably wondering if I attended a reunion or something similar.  Actually last weekend I attended a funeral viewing for a family friend.  They were our next door neighbor in the small town where we lived in the Philippines.  The second eldest son passed away and my good friend Lito (aka the Ambassador) contacted me and we all decided to attend.  What I did not realized is the number of family and friends of the family that I actually knew or should I say knew me.  Some of them were easy to recognized because of how each one has aged gracefully and you can still see that feature that you remember as a kid.  Others I recognize from the way the wear their hair or clothes or their height.  Although it was a sad part of their lives - losing their brother, cousin and friend - it was definitely a perfect time to reconnect with everyone.  There were family and friends from different parts of the USA (Arizona, New Jersey, New York and more) including other cities in California.  I had to find a photo that I could share with you.


If you are wondering where I am, on the second row from left to right, I am the 6th girl.  The two boys that I met last weekend were Ricky Alcantara (front row,left to right, 2nd boy) and Hector Lavarias (front row, right to left, 4th boy).  The boy directly infront of me is Victor Tolosa, he is one of the brother of the deceased.  Unfortunately he could not make the trip as he is back home in the Philippines.  While looking at this photograph, I remembered that our teacher Mrs. Perez is the aunt of Lori, she actually got a ride from us to the Funeral Home.  It is such a small world.  I was trying to look at this photo and was trying to recall all the names but I am afraid I can only remember 25% of their names.  As you can see from the date of the photo - this was taken 54 years ago.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment