Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tarty Tueday - I love these grapefruits

For a very long time, I stopped eating grapefruits because I was taking some statin for my cholesterol.  But one day I did some reading on what the benefits of eating grapefruits and I found out that as long as I  don't consume a large amount and do not eat it everyday, it would be too bad.  Here's what I found.

Grapefruit contains a chemical that interferes with your body's ability to break down or metabolize certain statin medications. When statin takers eat large amounts of grapefruit, the level of statins in their blood can increase, raising the possibility of side effects.

And then here's what I found regarding the benefits of eating grapefruits.
  • Grapefruit may not be a miracle weight loss food as touted in some previously popular fad diets, but consuming grapefruit as part of a healthy diet may just give you a little boost
  • eating higher amounts of a compound found in citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit may lower ischemic stroke risk for women
  • One study found that a diet supplemented with fresh red grapefruit positively influences blood lipid levels, especially triglycerides
  •  As an excellent source of the strong antioxidant vitamin C as well as other antioxidants, grapefruit can help combat the formation of free radicals known to cause cancer
  •  Grapefruit, because of its water and fiber content, helps to prevent constipation and promote regularity for a healthy digestive tract. 
  •  The risks for developing asthma are lower in people who consume a high amount of certain nutrients. One of these nutrients is vitamin C, found in many fruits and vegetables including grapefruit. 
Like anything else in life, moderation is the key.  Unfortunately my supplier of these wonderful grapefruits is moving and I can't pick fresh grapefruit from their tree.  I know they are available at every store, but nothing beats fresh. 

The biggest one weighs almost 2 pounds and the smallest one weighs 1 pound.

These grapefruits are juicy, sweet, sour and tart. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment