Pages

Friday, March 11, 2016

Fructose Friday- Always counting

Fructose, glucose, blood sugar and A1C just to name a few.  It's all about sugar in your blood.  Being a diabetic for almost 28 years of my life is not as easy as some people think it is.  Although I have to say that after being on insulin for the last 12 years, I can say that my health is much better and having more energy is something I don't take for granted.  Since diabetes is very much in the family for generations starting with our grandparents, I was prepared to get it in my golden age but not at 35.  It was definitely a life style change but the good news is that it's manageable and controllable.  A lot of control, balance and consistently learning new things and trying them out.  I can still recall that day when I ended on the wrong side of the road and couldn't remember how I got there.  That's when I decided it was time to get all the tests and sure enough, Diabetes is now a part of my life.  Everything I learned in the classes I attended, the many sessions with my dietitian are still in grained in my mind.  Once in a while I have to revert back to measuring everything just to make sure I am not off with my food intake.  Even when getting our groceries, I am always checking the sugar content of each item that I am going to try for the first time.  Counting carbs was a new thing for me since my knowledge of food groups was based on Canada's food table.  It was much easier then but after taking more classes here, using 15g of each of the items on my plate, eventually you just get use to it.  For some who hates needles, I do not wish for them to have diabetes.  Blood sugar testing is mandatory specially being on insulin.  There are some people who have tried to tell me that if I drink certain types of tea or take some sort of vitamins, etc. that my diabetes will go away.  If these were true, then why are they still researching for the cure.  My advice - if it's in the family - get tested during your annual medicals.  Be informed of what's new and what are the signs.  There are so many people who are not diagnosed until later in life or until it's already affected one of their organs.  Just a friendly reminder to take care of your health so you can enjoy your retirement.

 Image result for diabetes

  Image result for diabetes

 
Image result for diabetes

No comments:

Post a Comment