Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Trying Tuesday - Something different

Since moving to San Jose area, we have been checking out some of the mexican restaurants in and around the city.  So far we a few favorites and of course we are willing to try other new places as well.  But the past weekend after my our library sale, my MIL, Jeff and I decided to go back to our #1 pick - Casa Teresa.  I have been so curious about one of the dishes that is only available on the weekend, it's called Menudo.  Growing up in Manila, we had a similar dish, actually the same name but I did not think the ingredients were the same.
I knew that one day I would like to try it and that was the day.  So I ordered it and it only came in one size - one big bowl of Menudo.  What's in it, you might ask?  Tripe, hominy in a tomato broth.  This is accompanied with a choice of corn or flour tortilla.  Also a side of fresh onions, chile peppers, oregano and lime.  There was no going back, the dish arrived and instead of tortilla, I asked for a side dish of their rice.  I added a little bit of each of the side dish and squeeze half a lime.  I was extremely surprised of the taste and I have to admit that I like it specially when it's a bit spicy and limey.  Don't be bothered by how it looks.

A truly authenthic mexican dish.

1 comment: