Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Maybe Monday - Matchmaking

Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make me a match,
Find me a find, catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker Look through your book,
And make me a perfect match

Does anyone remember that song from Fiddler on the roof?  Matchmaking was the old way of finding that special someone.  I am not a registered matchmaker but I can at least say that I found a match or I should say a perfect match for some of my friends.  Here's how it all began.

Some time in the late 90's while working on an assignment in Ottawa, my friend Suzanne and I had a bet.  She said that if I find her a man, she would find me another assignment so I could return to Ottawa for a couple more years.  I shook her hand and started my search.  It did not take me long to find one.  A good friend of mine introduced me to his co worker named Jerry.  After talking to him and finding out more information, it clicked, this was the man for Suzanne.  I arranged for all of us to meet at a pub one day after work and introduced them.  A year or so later, they got married and to date are still happy married.  Unfortunately I could not attend their wedding due to a family emergency but they did thank me for connecting them together.  #1 match.

In the last place of work before I retire, there were quite a few couples that work there not necessarily in the same unit.  One of my long time friend Ralph who I knew prior to his joining our department.  It's funny but I actually met him at a bar with his buddy.  We had become friends since that time.  At that time our unit had added some new officers, young officers and one particular one caught his eye.  I have to say that I encouraged him to hang out with her but he was still hesitant because it was sometimes difficult to have a work and love relationship.  I suggest that he tries to keep it very private and I arranged for them to have a date and I believe I chaperoned at least 3 or 4 dates.  You probably already know the ending.  We attended their wedding at the end of August 2009 and they now have two kids, happily living in some small country town in Quebec. #2 match. 

As for my #3 match, I am just doing the early stage.  So if any of my friends out there that are still single and interested in meeting a wonderful guy, let me know if you are still available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment