Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Timely Tuesday - A different kind of Marshall

When I told a friend that I will be going for an interview for a volunteer job as a Marshall, she was shocked and said why would I want to do that.  I immediately corrected myself.  It's actually a Marshall at a Golf Course which also involves being a Starter.  For those of you who are golfers or are married to golfers, then you know what I am talking about.  So I am hoping that I do get this job because of the benefits.  But for now I will have to wait until after my interview before I start counting how many golf games I could do in a week.  The only thing about this volunteer is that at the beginning, the only opening is Saturday or Sunday for four hours.  Before I sent my interest, I ask Jeff if that was acceptable because week ends is our time together.  He is currently doing a few projects so he will be really busy this summer trying to get some of the projects completed.  I am hoping that I will get a chance to do this type of volunteer.  Before I retired, when my friends would ask what I would do with my free time.  This one was at the top of my list but since I did not see any opening when I moved here, I ended up volunteering for the Library and another agency.  I hope to share the result of this new and exciting prospect.  

Definition: A "marshal" on a golf course is an individual whose job it is to patrol a golf course, keeping the pace of play up and responding to golfers' questions or concerns. During a tournament, a marshal's job is primarily crowd control.  At most courses, marshals are volunteers who ride in marked golf carts, and their primary value is in their visibility. If golfers know a course has marshals, they are more likely to police themselves. Slow play is a primary concern for marshals, and some courses allow marshals to force slow groups to move up, skipping part or all of a hole in order to speed up play. If disputes arise between groups of golfers or issues relating to pace of play or etiquette, those groups should seek out a course marshal to mediate. Golf course marshals have no legal authority; as noted, they are typically volunteers (many golf courses provide free golf to volunteer marshals). However, golfers should follow the requests and instructions of marshals, if a marshal offers such.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment