Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Frosted Friday - Sugar fix

Around 930 in the evening, I  sometimes get this craving for something sweet.  Jeff usually would offer to get me a small scoop of ice cream or half of a klondike bar.  But when it's a doughnut that I am interesting in getting, Jeff would offer to drive me to the 24 hour donut place near our home.  It doesn't happen often but sometimes I would crave for something so different and then I am in the kitchen trying to find if I have all the ingredients to make that special something for my sugar fix.  On Monday night, it started with wanting a doughnut but I did not want Jeff to go out.  Then I thought maybe I can make those Louisiana Beignets only to find out that I would need dry yeast.  This is something that I can not comfortable in using and it's really out of my league.  I continued to search and I ended up making what my mom use to call it when we were little.  Bunuelos, similar to a donut hole, it's round and I seem to recall that it was easy to make.  What I found is a recipe for a Mexican Bunuelos which I thought was close enough.  I had all the ingredients and so I proceeded to make these small ball of dough that will be deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar mix.  After tasting each style, there was no question that it needed some filling.  Only thing I have available was a jar of Dulce de Leche.  It was a success and it was yummy.  
Bunuelos with powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar and Dulce de Leche filled.

No comments:

Post a Comment