Pages

Monday, November 25, 2019

Magically Monday - Deconstructing a dress

Lately I have been watching a few episodes of The Great British Sewing Bee.  Sometimes even if they are older episode I would still watch it as long as it's one that I have not seen.  The part I like is the second challenge because it is when the contestant really shows their creative side and their speed to put together a piece of clothing from the two materials that is thrown at them.  For example, the last one I saw was when the gave them an umbrella (outdoor) and a lounge chair (outdoor) which is a bit thicker material and both stripes.  Everyone of them created something magical using both fabrics from the two items.  Last week my neighbor came to me for some help with a dress that she wanted to wear to a Christmas party.  They were asked to wear something from the roaring 1920's also known as flapper dress and headband.  The dress she brought has never been worn and I was hesitant to practice on deconstructing it.  Luckily I have an older long black dress that was too big for me and I was just going to donate.  She was happy that I agreed to take on the challenge of deconstructing this dress to give her more room.  I also need to design and make her an head band in the same theme.  I measured her and told her to go home and I'll have her dress and headgear ready in a couple of days.  The first day, I remove the stitches on the sides of the dress, then I cut off 8 inches from the bottom of the dress.  I used that material to place on each side of the dress to make some room for her hips.  Then I added some white ruffled material for the sleeves as she prefers to cover her arms.  She came over to try the dress and it was a perfect fit. Yeah.  Next day I worked on the head band using fabric, sequence, lace, feather and ribbons.  In addition to this, I offered to curl her hair on the day of the party.  Once it's all put together, she will be going back in time and feel like the Great Gatsby.


No comments:

Post a Comment