Pages

Monday, August 13, 2018

Motor mouth Monday - Golf etiquette

The only time that I try very hard not to talk a lot is during golf.  Don't get me wrong, I would engage in short conversation but I know when to stop.  For example, when people are teeing off, on the fairway and putting on the green, I truly pay attention and keep very quiet.  I understand we are not the professionals or even the amateur, but I believe that golf etiquette applies to every type of golfer, even the hackers.  About a month ago my golf buddy and I decided to try the Thursday special at the Vernon Golf and Country club.  Since it was a busy day we knew we were going to be paired up with another twosome.  We had no problem with that but we were not that lucky.  We had the same tee time as these two ladies who were apparently members of this particular club.  As soon as she met me, she started convincing me that I should join and be a member of the golf course.  Almost ever hole she was promoting the club and how it was inexpensive and that there's a lot of events.  I told her I was not interested but she told me that she would sponsor me and again that it was not
expensive.  On another hole, she asked if had taken lessons and almost on every other hole, she would tell me where to direct the ball.  My golf buddy was getting annoyed as she would not stop talking specially when he is putting.  Towards the end of round, she made a comment about my drive as being a good one.  My ball went right and was under the tree.  Apparently, that was good for her.  In my mind, I was thinking, it's a bad drive, I am not in the middle.  Once we finished, my golf buddy and I went to the restaurant and shortly after our spouses joined us.  The same annoying woman asked where we were going to sit.  That's when I just ignored her and went to straight to the restroom.  Most of the people you meet at the golf course are pretty good but once in a while you get someone like this woman who is just annoying and would not shut up.  So here's a few golf etiquette that I found just in case you are a golfer and did not get a chance to read up on this part of golf.  
  1. don't be the slowest player (play ready golf)
  2. keep your temper under control (it's not the equipment's fault)
  3. respect other people's time (if you have to cancel, do it sooner than later)
  4. repair the ground you play on (repair your own ball mark)
  5. be a silent partner (think of the course as the green library - Shhh)
  6. keep your golf cart invisible (don't leave your cart in front of the green)
  7. always look your best (your appearance speaks volume about you as a person)
  8. turn off your cell phone (I agree that if your cell phone rings, it's a two stroke penalty)
  9. lend a hand when you can (help to look for ball if you can)
  10. learn the little things (lay flag stick down slowly)

Image result for golf etiquette

No comments:

Post a Comment