Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Special Sunday - After all these years

It is a special Sunday because it is the birthday of my childhood friend.  A truly special friendship that lasted this many years.  But I have to tell you the rest of the story.  Maybe I have shared this but I will revisit it again since today is all about her. The friendship began at Kindergarten, that's right, we were 5 years old.  We lived in the same neighborhood and attended the same school from K-Grade 3.  Unfortunately their family moved to the bigger city and I did not see her for many years.  While attending a basketball game for our university team (similar to the NCAA), we saw each other and caught up with our stories.  What was interesting was that she recognized me from behind because she noticed the birthmark behind me left knee.  I was standing to cheer for our team and that's when she realized it was me.  After that we did not see each other again.  Her family moved to the USA while our family moved to Canada.  Many many years has passed but every now and again I wondered where she might be.  Not until late July of 2016 that I decided to do what everyone does when they are searching for someone.  Lucky for me, it did not take long to find her.  I was not sure if she would remember me so I did something old school.  There was an office address and I sat down and wrote her a letter, attached some copies of old photos from the past.  I waited patiently in the hopes that she will contact me.  Then one day in August I received a phone call and it was her.  We were both so happy to hear each others voice and we talked for a very long time as if nothing it was just yesterday.  Last April 2017 we did a road trip on our new RV and stopped by to reconnect with
her.  It was such as amazing feeling seeing your childhood best friend for the first after all those years. Now we continue to communicate using the latest technology.  I am so glad that I did my research and reconnected.  Today she celebrates her special birthday with her family and I know that we will see each other again sometime this year or next year.  Happy birthday my dear friend!



No comments:

Post a Comment