Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Shredding Sunday - It was time and I was ready

What do you do with papers that does not mean anything anymore and yet you're afraid to shred them?  What would you do if you had a box of papers that only reminds you of sad moments in the past? After nine years, I finally got the courage to open my son's personal box and with the help of my MIL we were able to go through it and saved only what is important for me to keep.  Every year around the anniversary date of his date, I would open the box and I would try to get a file to review.  Honestly, I couldn't to it because I end up just breaking down.  Jeff is very supportive and always reminds me that you don't have to do it,
just keep it and when you are ready, you can do it.  Because of the recent changes in our lives, we had to really do a lot of paring down, cleaning, organizing and many hours of shredding.  In fact some of the papers that needed to be shredded will be done by MIL since she wanted to help and she knows she can do it leisurely - to keep her mind busy.  Now that the box has been organized, I do feel much better and I know those are material things and special memories and moments are more important to keep.  Everyone has their own timelines when it comes to dealing with a loved one's death and the items they have left behind.  It doesn't matter how many years my son has been gone, he will always stay close to my heart and all the memories will be stored in my mind, until I cannot remember them anymore.



1 comment:

  1. There is always a time for us to declutter all the things that we don't want and clean up the ones that we have. In Malaysia, my company provide carpet cleaning service at Johor Bahru as well as at other locations. Feel free to email us for additional information.

    ReplyDelete