Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Testing Tuesday - Switching to Quikpen

Did you know that it cost a lot of money to keep me alive?  Please don't get me wrong, I am not complaining but it is amazing when you look at the cost of medications.  The good part of this is how I am actually feeling which is pretty awesome considering.  This week I am trying a different style of insulin.  What I mean is that I am now using the pre-filled pen instead of the vials that I place of the pen.  This cost a bit more and our current health coverage does not pay for it. Although my doctor has provided me with the prescription because I refuse to go back to using syringe (I started using it in 2003 when I switch to insulin), I just have to suck it up and swallow the cost.  In the meantime, I am hoping that my other coverage will pay at least part of the total bill.  Jeff is looking into some other better health coverage/benefits so that my cost will at least be lower and I get to use the same insulin pen for my diabetes.  This is when I really miss my Canadian health plan.  But it means I have to leave Jeff here and live in a place where there's winter.  I guess sometimes you just have to pick your own battle.  So far the Humulog Quikpen has made a significant change or side effects on my blood sugar which is a good sign.  Sometimes in life you really need to try it out and hope for the best.  Honestly it's all about quality of life.  It might be costly but it definitely makes injecting four times a day much easier and painless.  Diabetes can be controlled and you can lead a normal life.  Please get checked and do not ignore the signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment