Pages

Monday, March 11, 2019

Meditation Monday - Something new to learn

Meditation.  The only story I can tell you is my one experience while I was living in San Jose. After my family doctor referred me to a psychologist about something I thought was an issue.  She recommended that I attended this meditation class at Kaiser.  She made the appointment and provided the time, date and location where I needed to be.  On that day, I actually did not know what to expect.  First you had to see the front office, had to pay the $20 co-pay, then I was told to go into a particular room.  By the time I got there, there were at least 15 people sitting around in a circle.  Then the teacher/instructor arrived.  It seems like some of the participants have been on this class for a few times.  Everyone shared their stories and each and everyone had a story to share but from what I gathered, they were all experiencing some type of depression.  Anyway, the instructor began talking and one participant turn down the lights and it appeared that everyone closed their eyes and soon after, the instructor was done with talking (which did not include what were we suppose to be doing). I really didn't know what to do because I have done any type of meditation.  After a few minutes, I decided to open my eyes just to check out what was happening with everyone as the room was so quiet.  To my surprise, the instructor's head was nodding down (he is taking a nap).  I wasn't sure if I was suppose to nap as well, so I closed my eyes but was quite aware of the surrounding.  This continued for almost half an hour and then all of a sudden, he started asking one of the participant to turn the lights back on.  He asked again everyone to share what they had experience during that half an hour.  When it came my turn, I stood up, took my purse and responded "This is not for me" and walked out.  I emailed the psychologist about my experience and told her I am fine and do not need any additional appoint.  You are probably wondering why I'm sharing this story.  It is because every time I hear the work meditation, this story always seems to come back.  During my weekly chat with my daughter, she had suggested that I try doing meditation in order to help me with some issues that we discussed.  Now I will have to search for an APP in the hopes that I can learn how to meditate and hopefully this time, it is something I can learn how to do and it is not all about taking a nap.  My hubby calls me PON (Princess of Nap) so I don't believe I need help in that category. Do you know how to meditate? What app do you use?  Did you learn it by reading a book or attending a class?

Image result for meditation

How to meditate: Simple meditation for beginners

Sit or lie comfortably. You may even want to invest in a meditation chair or cushion.
Close your eyes. ...Make no effort to control the breath; simply breathe naturally.
Focus your attention on the breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation.

1 comment:

  1. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. MINDFULNESS

    ReplyDelete