Pages

Monday, February 11, 2019

Memorial Monday - It's so hard to say goodbye

The past couple of weeks has been a little tough and a bit sad as well.  It's not my excuse for not posting anything new, but I am sure you will understand.  After receiving a phone call form my sister that my brother (he is the oldest in our family) has been in the hospital for a few weeks.  A couple of days later, I got another call, my brother is in ICU.  It was time to make a decision whether to go or not, but it was not difficult.  I knew I had to go.  From past experience, I seem to get the similar news, but a little late and I guess you can figure out what happened.  Luckily I was able to get flights within a couple of days and I arrived at the hospital.  I guess I was not prepared to see my brother's health condition.  My sister and I stayed for most of that day.  We returned about mid morning and was given the not so great message about his condition.  The chaplain was there within minutes and the last rite was given.  My sister and her two sons plus myself were there beside him.  The whole staff of that unit made sure my brother was comfortable and made sure they were there when he called.  Shortly after twelve noon, I told me sister to grab some lunch with her son.  I stayed with my brother and held his hand.  A short prayer was left by the chaplain for us.  There was nothing I could do but decided to read the prayer to him.  It seemed to comfort him and then it was time.  I am thankful that he did not die alone,  I was there still holding his hand.  Saying goodbye was so painful but knowing he is not in pain and now at peace, somehow makes it easier to understand this circle of life.  We will miss him but will never forget the good memories.  



No comments:

Post a Comment