Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Sightings Saturday - Northern Lights

Have you ever seen the northern lights aka Aurora Borealis?  That was the question that my cousin asked Jeff when they were visiting us this past July.  Of course the answer was NO.  They recommended that I take Jeff to visit Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.  This was the city that I started my life in Canada.  It has been at least 22 years since my last visit.  Although I had lived there for 10 years, I knew that it would not be the same as I have heard stories of the growth of population as well as the booming industry of diamond mining, etc.  After my cousins left, we checked out airfares and soon enough we were on our flight to the land of the midnight sun.  The weather was blustery and cold.  Every night we checked out the forecast to see if it would be a cloudy night or clear night.  Our cousins gave us a complete tour of the city and the new developments.  We were invited for suppers at my other cousins place and both dinners were amazing.  One of my girlfriend made the special Filipino dessert for one of the dinner.  She also made some extra for me to take home.  Awesome. It is called Cuchinta.  This is one of those desserts that I probably eat once every 5 years.  That same Saturday night, my other relative ask if I wanted to take Jeff to the GOLD RANGE (a historical bar).  We did and we met some of her friends who she went to school with. After one drink we decided to head out to the special spot where we hope to see the Northern Lights.  And there it was.  We stood outside in the cold watching it move and formed different shapes. Only color we could see was something light green. This was one of the main purpose of the trip and it was fulfilled. The next few days we continued to be like real tourist visiting special places, eating at quaint restaurants and buying souvenirs for us and for others.  There were no other sightings of the great Aurora as the skies were cloudy for the rest of our stay.  In fact in snowed on our last night and on the morning of our departure that our plane had to get de-iced.  Here's some of the photos we took.

This was the parking lot of the legislative building, I thought the sky was more interesting.

A souvenir for our home which I bought from a vendor who was selling it for Peter Mitchell, a soap stone carver.


The famous house boats from the show ICE LAKE REBELS.

One of the painting at the Midnight Gallery and shop.

The famous golf course that holds the longest day tournament with a starting tee time at midnight.

Cuchinta by Syliva

I could not resist this one souvenir.  My BFF from Ontario wanted one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment