Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

Freedom Friday - Forty Five Years

It is hard to believe that I have been living in the Canada for 45 years.  I still remember my first flight out of Manila.  If I remember it correctly it was Northwest Airlines, then Japan Airlines, then once it Canada it was good old Pacific Western (Not Air Canada).  The route was Manila-Tokyo-Vancouver-Edmonton-Yellowknife.  The overnight in Tokyo was eventful. I traveled with another girl who was going to get married to a guy who was my parents tenant in their home in Yellowknife.  We had to stay in a very nice hotel that had many floors.  We met a nice man who worked at the hotel who offered to take us shopping the next day.  I believe his name was Taku.  On the morning of our flight, they had a 7.0 earthquake and from our hotel room, we could watch the building across swaying from side to side.  Luckily it had stopped and we were able to checkout and got to the airport on time.  While waiting at the gate to board a flight, I met another nice older man, Mr. Triggs (not really sure how I still remember all these names.  Since we were going to board a 747 from Tokyo to Vancouver, he asked for my seat number and told me he would look for me once the flight was airborne and able to walk around.  Mr. Triggs was sitting in First Class.  The aircraft had the spiral staircase that takes you to the First Class Lounge.  He did look for me and gave me a tour of where he was seated, had a drink and a snack.  What a memorable first time on a 747.  Once in Vancouver I was met by my parent's friends who took me shopping for winter clothes.  The next day I was on my way to the great white north.  Almost forgot, the winter coat they got me was like a Santa jacket, red with white sort of furry collar and white cuffs and white trim at the edge of the coat.  Boots was a bit clunky but warm and I had a faux fur hat and warm mittens.  This was definitely a shock leaving the Philippines with a 98 F and arriving in Yellowknife with minus 30 C weather.  That was the first time I saw snow.  It had been at least six months since I had seen my parents and it was so great to live with them again.  Ten years in Yellowknife was enough so we moved to Whitehorse and stayed for four years.  After the north, we moved east to Mississauga and a couple of times to Ottawa and finally left Canada when I retired.  Luckily the next city was warm and sunny San Jose, California.  After nine years, we are back in beautiful British Columbia.  Although I have only lived in two territories and two provinces, I have been lucky enough to travel to most of Canada except Nunavut and Newfoundland.  Maybe someday we can still try to get see both. Happy 45 years to me and I am very thankful that my parents chose to emigrate to give us a better and safe future.
Image result for map of philippines

Image result for map of canada

Image result for map of california showing san jose

No comments:

Post a Comment